Private Schools in the Dominican Republic (part 1)


The school van picks us up every morning. 

Vintage portrait of Christopher Columbus and the Santa Maria, lithograph, 1930
I came to the Dominican Republic with my arrogance and American privilege about what and how good teaching should look.  Not realizing that I am not in the U.S. Trying to impose my North American views on another culture.  Something history has repeated many times before...

Image result for golden eggThe key to a successful experience teaching in the Dominican Republic is to BE FLEXIBLE. There are a few differences that are culturally🌎 relevant to teaching in the Dominican Republic. 😢Non acceptance will result of a long painful school year but wearing your flexibility 👒hat🎩 will help you to win the golden egg. 

Here are the top 3 differences between being a teacher in the United States and in the Dominican Republic:

1. Class schedule
2. Instructional Time
3. Grading 

Class Schedule

I was originally hired as the 12th grade
Daily Schedule
English teacher but when I arrived in country (D.R.) everything changed.  On my first day of school I received my class schedule. Surprise🎈! I was going to be teaching 10th, 11th, 12th grade English and Social Studies. Yes, my friends 6 preps😟. Since I have arrived, my schedule has changed 3 times.  So yes flexibility is number one on my list. And yes I still have 6 prep. Well actually 7 because they added an 'economics'
class. 

Instructional Time


The Flag Ceremony
Here instructional time is based on hours.  Most teachers teach between 20 and 25 hours a week.  Each class is given a certain value of hours. For example 10th grade English is allotted 5 hours a week. So I teach 10th grade English everyday.  This is all fine and dandy except there are always last minute events that impede on my teaching. For example there may be guest speakers, field trips for 3-5 days , presentations, dance events or the morning flag ceremony which is twice a week for 25 minutes.  

Grading

It's funny that you don't know how good you have it until it is gone.  In Maryland we used the 'Gradebook'💻 to keep an accurate record of classwork, homework, quizzes and exams.  It was more teacher friendly.  Several schools that I have taught and spoken with use IQpro here in the Dominican Republic.  It is a bit inconvenient😑. You have to log in, create assignment, go to assignments, click on each child, then click on each assignment. Make sure you save, too!

A second concern I have noticed is the undeniable parent influence on grading.  If a parent does not like a grade, there is  a big meeting.  The principal, teacher, student and parents are called in to discuss the grade. Since the parents are paying money, they feel they are entitled to ask for the grade they want for their child.  And most of the time the parents win🏆 
  
My ideas of a consistent teacher schedule, dedicated instructional time, and grading comes from my own cultural norm (What I am used to. What I have been taught.)  Everything I have seen is part of the Dominican cultural norm. My views, my customs, my norms DO NOT fit here. But, who am I to judge? In the end, I am keeping the good and letting go of the rest. 💗

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Cafeteria Food in the Dominican Republic

Wendy's in the Dominican Republic - Frosty anyone?

School Supplies in the Dominican Republic! (Part 1)