Housing in the Dominican Republic


My Building
When you are a foreign hired teacher for a private school there are certain benefits that you receive such as free housing.  ****See my post: Benefits of teaching in the Dominican Republic.  Usually they will give you an apartment in a middle class area. Some schools require you to share an apartment with other teachers. 
Living Room




WARNINGMake all of your requests before you sign your contract such as independent living or air conditioning.  Once you are here it is unlikely your requests will be honored.


Kitchen/Dining Room
Here is a picture of my apartment.  I am so lucky and fortunate that it really has everything I need or could ever want.  It is as 'American' as it comes. (I would like to share my gratitude👊.) For example, I have hot water, air conditioning, and an American washing machine. I know other teachers that just have fans🌬 or no hot water.  If hot🔥
Laundry Area
water is a deal breaker let the school know that ahead of time.  



Linen Closet:
Hot Water Heater with On/Off Switch





WARNING


Second Bedroom
One thing you will not have is a dryer. It is too hot here for a dryer. Dryers use too much electricity and heat up the home.
Third Bedroom

My apartment may or may not look like the one you are offered.  If you live in a more rural setting (el campo) they may give you a small single family house. If you live in a major city (el capital) you will probably live in a small apartment.
My Dryer

Warning: Ask for a balcony as a prerequisite. A balcony here has multiple uses: drying clothes, entertainment, and relaxation. Since dryers are uncommon here, it is easier to dry  clothes outside. I do not have a balcony so I invented my close dryer. It is also perfect when having friends over or having a cup of coffee in the morning🌇. 
Master Bedroom 

Apartments will be fully furnished but you may have to buy nick nacks that add to your own personal style😎.  You may also have to replace certain items due to the wear and tear. For example I had to buy a new base lid for my blender. Luckily everything is sold in parts here. I love that! 
Master Bedroom
Second Bathroom

Major things that need to be fixed are handled by the school maintenance team.  You just send an email.  Warning: The concept of time is different in every culture. Therefore although you send an email. Don't expect it to be fixed right away. You will be gravely disappointed.  For example, the sink in my master bedroom broke the first week I arrived and it is still broken💔. Thank goodness we have a second bathroom🛁👍













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

School Cafeteria Food in the Dominican Republic

Wendy's in the Dominican Republic - Frosty anyone?

School Supplies in the Dominican Republic! (Part 1)